Funny People Making Food
Episode 5 is here! And for this one Erica is at Chez Marie cooking Paellaaa with the hilarious Marie Faustin! Squid beaks, mussel beards, exciting stories about what happened to Marie's mom at Pathmark - what won't you learn!!
Paella Recipe Below!
4 cups chicken broth
¼ cup dry (fino) sherry
Large pinch of saffron threads, crumbled
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 pound fresh or dried chorizo sausage, cut in 1/2-inch slices
1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into ¼-inch strips
1 1/2 cups short-grain white rice (like Arborio or Carnaroli or Bomba)
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon turmeric
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes with juice
2 dozen mussels, scrubbed
1 lb cleaned squid, sliced into 1/4" rings
1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
1. In a medium saucepan, combine the broth, sherry, and saffron threads. Bring to a boil, cover, and remove from heat. Set aside for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
2. In a large 12-inch skillet or paella pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo slices and cook until well browned and almost cooked through; transfer to a plate and set aside.
3. To the hot pan, add the onions and peppers and cook until soft and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, and continue cooking until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Add the rice, paprika, turmeric, and cayenne and cook, stirring constantly, until the rice kernels are translucent and the spices are fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, sliced chorizo, the infused broth to the pan (reserving 1/2 cup), and 1 ½ teaspoons salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Nestle the mussels, pointed-side down, into the bubbling liquid and continue simmering until the rice is tender, the liquid has absorbed, and the mussels have opened, about 10 minutes more, adding the additional broth if necessary. Scatter the squid between the mussels and cook until it's just turned white. Be careful not to overcook it!
4. Remove from heat, sprinkle the peas over the paella and cover for 10 minutes or until ready to serve (don’t wait too long!).
Song: Xad - Birds (Vlog No Copyright Music)
Music provided by Vlog No Copyright Music.
Video Link: https://youtu.be/POwYctPBJnU
Up Next in Season 1
Buckle up for a ride to the French countryside as Chef Erica Wides and comedian Mia Jackson show you how to create a classic Cassoulet. Your friends may judge you, but who cares? Just means more delicious duck for you! In this episode you'll learn:
- The sultry pleasures of getting roasted in yo...